Re: [Patch] A clipboard daemon for gnome-settings-daemon

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 12:12:08AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> A simpler example to think about than Gnumeric is maybe the text
> widget; somehow you want the clipboard manager to know to ask for the
> rich text form instead of the plain text, and know how to convert rich
> text to plain text.

The core of my problem with the Klipper approach is that it seems
over eager.  Why serialize and de-serialize a potentially large
amount of data, in several formats unless you really need to.  As
long as the application continues to run it is the best repository
of the information.  My understanding of the problem being addressed
is that we want to have clipboard content last even when an
application exits.  In that situation could we not transfer the
content only on exit ?

It would obviously be nice to support a more automatic mechanism for
apps that don't have a preference, but there has to be a way to use a
more intelligent fallback.