Re: [Patch] A clipboard daemon for gnome-settings-daemon

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:51:33PM +0200, Hongli Lai wrote:
> On Saturday 06 September 2003 17:27, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> > > How do I detect when the application is about to exit, without patching
> > > every single application (or toolkit) out there?
> >
> > I don't know, that's one for better minds than me.
>
> I don't think it's even possible.

You do not need to solve the general case.  Only to make it
possible.  I propose

1) Provide a flag of some sort (eg a magic target format) that tells
   a clipboard manager to keep its greedy little fingers to itself.
   Document this flag with freedesktop.

2) Provide a toolkit extensions to set the magic flag and register a
   handler for exiting.  This could be done manually initially.
   We've got session management code in place now that seems like it
   could be extended to handle this.

The only case this will miss is unexpected exit of an app that
requests exemption.  Which does not seem like a terribly interesting
situation.