Re: [Patch] A clipboard daemon for gnome-settings-daemon

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 16:12, Hongli Lai wrote:
> Andrew Sobala wrote:
>
> >2) With large amounts of data, have the clipboard manager warn the user
> >on the application's exit
> >

> How do I detect when the application is about to exit, without patching
> every single application (or toolkit) out there?

I don't know, that's one for better minds than me.

> >that this is a large amount of data on the
> >clipboard and will take up a lot of memory to keep it there, are they
> >sure they want to do this. Like Windows does.
> >

> Again, the Windows "clipboard manager" doesn't do that, MS Word or
> Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro do that. It's the application asking whether
> you want to clear the clipboard, not the clipboard itself.

Yes, but maybe in our X world it might make sense to do it the other way
round. Make sure we never have to spit loads of data across to the
clipboard manager unless we have to.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

The lighting designer is expected to be a master of art, science,
history, psychology, communications, politics and sometimes even
mind reading. -- Stage Lighting Design 101