Missing items in the gnome main menu

Hello All,

I have been using Redhat9 with all the latest gnome
2.3 components that I update regularly using apt-get.
Yesterday, after updating some of the components, the
items in my main menu have disappeared. I am left
with "Run Application", "Search for files", "Recent
files", "Lock screen" and "Log out". The rest of the
items have disappeared (Applications, Sound and Video,
Internet, Graphics etc). The "Recent files" items
shows a missing icon. If I log in as root I the menu
seems to be intact with the exception of a few missing
icons. I have tried creating a new user but get the
same missing items in the menu. Some help will be
greatly appreciated!

Sanjeev