Re: GTK unlock dialog for Xscreensaver

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 09:26:55PM +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> > Perhaps the time has come to do a gnome-screensaver project, perhaps a
> > fork of xscreensaver.
>
> To be able to do a fork, you need someone that will maintain and extend
> the new project always (not just after the fork, but years after it). Of
> course, you should start doing that integration with xscreensaver and
> send those patches to Jamie and if he does not like that functionality,
> then you should start thinking on fork, but you first should try to work
> with Jamie.

I've had a (brief) conversation with Jamie about this, so I'll try to
summarize his position so he doesn't need to repeat himself:
 - He's amenable to patches, but every patch he's receieved that tries
   to accomplish what you're talking about has introduced security
   problems and he refuses to accept an insecure solution.
 - However, he's super-annoyed by most people whose first inclination is
   to fork whenever there's a hint of trouble, and even went as far as
   writing he wished he'd never made it open-source in the first place
   because all it has done was brought him grief in the form of bug
   reports from forked versions.  (I'm sure he was being a bit
   melodramatic, but that is what he wrote.)

FWIW, as I understand it KDE uses a fork.

--
Evan Martin
martine danga com