Re: Storing file references in GConf

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 11:31, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 07:53:04PM -0400, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > as Havoc pointed out before, storing absolute filenames (e.g.
> > /home/ettore/foo/bar.txt) in GConf is evil.  If you do that, your
> > settings become dependant on the physical location of your home
> > directory, which causes trouble if you are mounting your home from
> > different machines, or if you are trying to migrate a bunch of
> > data/settings from one machine to another.  So, the right thing is to
> > store only a home-relative path instead (foo/bar.txt).
>
> Might getting more specific help? The file: scheme as a spot for the
> host that's rarely used.
>
> <snip>
> >
> > I am trying to get this right for Evolution 2.0 and it would be nice if
> > I could use a scheme that people can at least tentatively agree on...
>
> How about "home:"?

I really dislike home: because it creates aliases in the filename space.
Nautilus (and other apps) will be confused in various ways because it
doesn't know that file:///home/user/file is the same file as
home:///file. This will lead to a lot of consistancy problems and
possibly worse. (For this same reason I dislike desktop:)

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an immortal flyboy cat burglar plagued by the memory of his family's
brutal murder. She's a manipulative Bolivian journalist with a birthmark
shaped like Liberty's torch. They fight crime!