Re: currupt icons in new gnome 2.4

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 08:57, Mark Finlay wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 05:54, Alan wrote:
> > Hey folks.  Just got gnome 2.4 installed on my gentoo system and I must
>
> Bring gentoo problems to the gentoo people before bring them here. This
> problem I have seen before on the gentoo boards and someone there can
> probably help you.

This is both true (gentoo themselves stress it very firmly) and not
always easy (many on gentoo are not running the development series.) Now
I know that this was not a question pertaining to the development
series, and indeed should therefore have been taken to gentoo not here,
but it does raise some interesting questions for discussing the
testing/devel series:

Clearly no issues discussed on desktop-devel should pertain to
distro-specific questions or problems. Now given that gentoo compiles
from tarballs usually with little patching it would seem an ideal
platform to test the development series on. Not so however, due usually
to insane compiler optimisations and obsolete library versions kicking
about the system. Not to mention incomplete/incorrect ebuilds,
dependancies, etc, etc, etc.

So: Should we encourage (demand?) that people discussing the development
series, which will get underway soon I'm sure, use the gnome tarballs
and make them by hand as instructed, or use garnome, or use sensible
optimisations, or avoid distro-specific versions altogether. We would do
well to have a clear policy on what is expected of the testing platform.

For what its worth, I myself am a gentoo user however when I run the
development series it is installed in /usr/local by myself and not my
system. I also dont have -O9 -fomit-every-nth-byte, etc.

What are your thoughts on recommendations for the development platform?

Dom.

--
Dom Howells | e: dom domhowells com
t: 01844 339355 | m: 07956 224714