Re: Nautilus 2.6 - We're going all spatial

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 01:34  pm, Mario Vukelic wrote:
Rather then have a tree view applet, which seems like it would probably just confuse new users, it might make more sense to have a Mac OS style tree view in the spatial window.

What Mac OS called the "list view" was actually just a tree that showed files and folders. Hunt down a screenshot of the Mac OS 9 Finder to see what I mean, it worked really well.

You could switch any spatial window to be a "list view" and the whole filesystem appeared in tree view with files and folders, if you single clicked on the arrow next to a closed folder in the tree, it expanded and the arrow pointed downward. If a folder was expanded in the tree and you double-clicked on it, the folder opened in a new window and collapsed in the tree view.

Something like that would be a very good thing to have, and might deal with a lot of the objections people are having to the spatial design.

Arik