Re: Volume handling proposal

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 15:48, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 19:19, Calum Benson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 17:39, Julien Olivier wrote:
> >
> > > The problem is that, as you can't automatically newly inserted floppies,
> > > you have to display un-mounted floppies. Consequently, for consistency
> > > reasons, you should also display unmounted CD/DVD drives. Or find a way
> > > to auto-detect floppies...
> >
> > Yeah, I guess I'm too used to the Solaris volume management daemon doing
> > exactly that :)
>
> Gnome as a system cannot even rely on this for CD/DVD. We have to run on
> crap old unixes where there is not CD autodetection too. And its not
> acceptable if you're totally unable to reach your CD on those systems.

This is probably complete UI crack, and I probably deserve a drop kick
to the head for even suggesting it, but would it be possible to make it
so "permanent" device icons are only present on systems that can't
automount or even autodetect?

In a similar vein, tho, if we have autodetect, can we show the device,
but not actually mount it until accessed?  Some kind of gnome-vfs flag
or property or something for "this volume is there, but we need to run
the user mount commands before we access it"