Re: Volume handling proposal

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 09:58, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Using old/knackered Intel boxes as ~thin clients works really well
> using (eg. LTSP), but of course, the user doesn't know it's a thin
> client and that to save to floppy he has to get into the locked room
> with the server in it ;-) - he wants to just ram a floppy in the box in
> front of him and for it to save to it - at least; that's the thinking I
> think. Not looked into the security issues of this - prolly horrific ;-)

I'm told that WinXP remote desktop stuff does this magically - it mounts
your client's removable media on the machine you're displaying.

> 	FWIW: KDE has a floppy:// VFS backend, that uses mtools - which seems
> fairly sensible, which I plan (on the back-burner) to replicate for
> Gnome VFS when I get time.

I was going to write a fat gnome-vfs module for that at one point but it
was spectacularly unpopular. RMS flamed me on linux-kernel. I felt warm
inside. I still don't think its a particularly dumb idea - UNIX kernels
suck hard at dealing with removable media, the more we can take them out
of the picture the better.

Ian