RE: 2.5 and gtk+ HEAD

> From: Havoc Pennington [mailto:hp redhat com]
> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 04:29, Anders Carlsson wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've added a gnome26.moduleset to jhbuild for those of us
> that want to
> > build 2.5.
> >
> > So the question is if we should start monitoring gtk+ HEAD
> for this or
> > if we should wait for the GTK+ API freeze.
> >

> I'd say go ahead and point gnome26 at GTK HEAD.

I'd really like this, so that the gtkmm developers can work more easily on
gtkmm 2.4 and therefore keep in sync with GTK+ 2.4.

Also, I think it's a big mistake to have no GTK+ 2.3 tarball releases until
the API is frozen, even if it's only fuzzily frozen because
- APIs should not be frozen until we're sure that people have tried them.
- More regressions can happen between the GTK+ 2.2 and the first GTK+ 2.3.0
tarball. For instance, there is now some obscure GtkTreeView bug in GTK+
HEAD that breaks gtkmm. More tarball releases would make it easier to find
out when the regression happened. Release early, release often.

Using GTK+ 2.3 from CVS would help us deal with this lack of tarballs.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com