Re: gnome-session solution sought

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 00:12, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Platform: GNOME 2.0 on a SPARC Solaris 8 Sunblade with 2 monitors
> (treated as seperate displays - 0.0 and 0.1).

Not really the right list for this sort of question. In future, please
post general user questions to gnome-list gnome org  This list is for
discussion about development of the desktop.

> I see
> $ /usr/bin/gnome-session --version
> 2.0.8
>
> On http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/projects/gnome-session/ , the
> version listed is 2.0.6 as the last stable version - perhaps the problem
> I am seeing has to do with the fact that this is a newer version of
> session.

The latest version of gnome-session is 2.4.0. I guess the software map
should be ignored for packages in the main GNOME distribution.

> Problem:
> 	I set up a variety of applications in the various workspaces
> for the two monitors.  At logoff, I indicate that I want the session saved.
> When I log back in, any application that gnome-session attempts to start
> is placed in workspace 1 of display 0.0 .  Note that I understand that
> some applications are not going to be recognized and started.  That is
> unfortunate (solutions for that one would be great too <smile>), but
> not different than behavior I saw under OpenWindows and CDE.
>
> 	Initially, I need applications to start in the right workspace and
> monitor.  Additionally, it would really be useful if the application began
> with the font and window sizes that were chosen by the user before saving
> the session.
>
> Has anyone worked out a solution for this situation?

This was a known problem back in the GNOME 2.0 days. See a very recent
thread on gnome-list for somebody talking about the same thing. The only
solution is to upgrade.

Cheers,
Malcolm