Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

Hi,

> > >   BTW, is there a reason why recent files isn't just a gconf key?
> > >
> > >   Regards,
> >
> > >From http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ :
> >
> > "Do not store anything but preferences in GConf. Documents, session
> > state, random data blobs do not belong in GConf. Stuff breaks if you do
> > this. Moreover, THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT IT'S EVEN POSSIBLE TO WRITE
> > TO THE GCONF DATABASE. Which means you may not use GConf as an IPC
> > mechanism or when it's required to be able to store a piece of data."
>
>   I think that the disclaimer "THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT IT'S EVEN
> POSSIBLE TO WRITE TO THE GCONF DATABASE" is not very reasonable.  I
> think GConf should provide a better service than this.  I am excluding
> lock-down feature, of course.  Perhaps it makes sense that "recent
> files" can be locked-down as well, under some rather extreme
> circumstances. :)

Well, I think the disclaimer is referred to the possibility of locking
down some user-preferences.

Do you guys think that locking-down "recent-files" is a feature we
should take into consideration?
Could you please suggest use cases for this feature?

>   I also think that "recent files" is a desktop-wide preference.  It is
> certainly not any of (Documents, session state, random data blobs).

I don't think "recent files" is a desktop-wide preference. I see it is a
state information. But this is only a detail.

The real problem is that I don't think gconf is the right technology to
use in this case because, as Luis said, the interoperability with other
desktops (KDE, etc) and apps (OOo, Mozilla, etc) is  really important.

Ciao,
Paolo