Re: Next Generation Desktop UI

On Llu, 2004-04-05 at 21:55, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> Which is unfortunate, given that even cheap hardware these days can
> accelerate this sort of stuff.  :(  RENDER I think provides primitives
> for this sort of stuff (does Nautilus use that?) but I don't believe
> it's reliably accelerated in many drivers at all.

Render can accelerate it but you will need the Keith Packard X server to
handle this. The render acceleration in the XFree86/Xorg server is a bit
minimal, and without it you end up fetching from video memory, which is
another thing the XFree86/Xorg server is completely crap at handling.

Unfortunate combination of effects.

Alan