Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 08:31 +0900, Jan Morén wrote:

> Let Markus run Postgres, let Jamie run Firebird, let me run MySQL, and
> perhaps have SQlite as the default, built-in provider in case no DB is
> actually installed by the user?

There's only so far really that you can carry that.  MySQL, for example,
has severe limitation with respect to subqueries and some other features
that are found in more complete SQL implementations.  Should GNOME
restrict itself to the lowest common denominator?  Or perhaps our DB
abstraction API could have a "capabilities" API to check for certain
backend capabilities before allowing you to run applications that depend
on more advanced features.

For the vast majority of applications, though, I would imagine that the
capabilities of MySQL would be sufficient.