Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 19:48 -0700, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:

> Requiring any full-featured RDBMS for the desktop sounds quite wrong.
> I'm not sure what the situation is with Firebird, but for Postgres and
> MySQL, it's a system-wide service, not a per-user service -- having to
> administer this ominous database thing for the desktop seems like
> massive overkill.  What happens if I want to later use postgres for my

That's entirely an artifact of how you installed/configured the server.
Nothing at all stops you from pointing it at database files, locks, and
local sockets in $HOME sub-folders.  MySQL also for sure offers an
embedding API/codebase, altho its GPL only.  (In the wonderfully ironic
attempt to strip their target user base of their desired Freedoms so
they're forced to pay for a commercial license.)

Note I'm not defending the RDBM proposal.  In truth, I think it's crack.
Relational data storage is about as far away from where we want go as we
can get.  Totally the wrong model for what we want.  I'm just defending
the reality of how you can configure and use RDBMs like MySQL.  For
truth, love, honor, and justice!  Or maybe some pie...
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.