Re: Network shortcuts

On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 18:18, Alan wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 11:23:32AM +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 08:02, Rob Adams wrote:
> > > In the gnome release notes there is an icon for an SSH connection on the
> > > nautilus desktop.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how I might
> > > create such a wondrous thing.
> >
> > In the File menu, choose "Connect to Server...".
>
> For me when I use this method I can create a link on the desktop by
> putting in a link name and then the location of "ssh://<server>" (where
> I already have ssh keys on server, and can type "ssh <server>" from a
> terminal and be logged in), but when I click on the link created on the
> desktop I get:
>
> The action associated with "ssh: <server>" is invalid
> You can configure gnome to associate a different application blah blah
> blah
>
> However, I don't think that associating an app will help here.  Also, I
> from the command line and it gives me a 'failed to log in message'
>

> I think the original poster was referring to section 7.8.2 in the
> nautilus help ('To Access Netowrk Places') where it says that under
> places->computer, when you click the network icon/object, there will be
> icons to connect to different network services.
>
>    "To access UNIX shares, double-click on the UNIX Network (NFS)
>    object.  A list of the UNIX shares available to you is displayed
>    in the file manager window."
>
> But this NFS icon isn't there.  In my Places->network I have the local
> SMB servers, and a 'windows network' icon, but nothing else.
>
> The documentation also alleges there is a 'Add Network Place' icon in
> places->computer object, with more options than the 'connect to server'
> menu option, but I don't have that either.
>
> Is there a package that's needed for this functionality or something
> like that?  One of the things I was most excited about for 2.6 was the
> new and improved network handling for nautilus, but it's just not here!
> :)

This describes and old version of Gnome with the sun JDS patches.

I have no idea why your links don't work though.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a maverick guitar-strumming gangster on a mission from God. She's a
vivacious green-skinned research scientist from the wrong side of the tracks.
They fight crime!