Re: dbus and GNOME 2.8

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 20:22 +0100, jamie wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 19:46, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> > > Really do you know a url to confirm this?
> >
> > http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/
> > Read the Wiki notes, and/or the source.  ;-)
>
> I have what you said was crap - see the feature list for sqlite and now
> check out firebirds :
>
> http://www.firebirdsql.org/ff/foundation/FBFactsheet.html
>
> SQlite is a zillion miles away from being an RDBMS... (gotta be the most
> primitive DB I have seen as it sacrifices functionality for speed
> bigtime)

we all know that, since we all know SQLite is just a simple embedded
database. The question here is not what RDBMS is the best, but what uses
there are for a full-featured RDBMS in a normal GNOME desktop.

It makes more sense to me to add RDBMS-storage support to some parts of
GNOME, like a GConf backend, for instance, and let people choose to use
a RDBMS if they want to.

> > > those who want to use an API and those that want to use Gnome-DB, the
> > > business rules have to be on the server - theres no other way. You are
> > > also forgetting about network transparancy - the rules on the server
> >
> > The middleware *is* the server, and *it* offers network transparency,
> > probably using an already written and tested library like ORBit, bonobo,
> > D-BUS, etc.
> No it is not - its in the middle! We dont need middleware for 1 or 2
> users on a DB!

we need middleware to allow concurrent access to flat files. That is
what e-d-s does.

cheers