Re: Follow up about X clipboard

Shaun McCance wrote:
What about a 90% solution here?  Resource-hungry programs like GIMP or a
full-featured sound or video editor are not the kinds or programs where
users are likely to open a file, quickly look at something and copy it,
and then close.  These are the sorts of applications that users leave
open and work in all day.  The disappearing clipboard isn't likely to
create an annoyance very often with programs like these.  (Although, in
the few cases when it does, it's probably a bigger annoyance.)

It is annoying with small transient applications.  You open gucharmap,
find a character, copy, close, and try to paste.  You view the help for
some application, copy something, close Yelp, and try to paste.  (Yeah,
yeah, Yelp doesn't actaully have Copy hooked up.)  I think people would
have far fewer objections to gucharmap hanging around than Gnumeric.

This sort of leaves it up to the application developer to decide how
people are using the application.  If it's a relatively small app, and
users are likely to do a quick open-copy-close, then go ahead and hang
around for a while if you've got the clipboard.

It's not a complete solution, but it might just be "good enough".

I agree. It will solve the annoyances users have *right now*, which is also important. I think we've all figured out that a perfect solution is complex and will take a while to complete. I don't think there's anything wrong with coming up with a simpler 90% solution in the short term (and then eventually replacing it with the 100% solution).

Don't try to run before you can walk.