Re: rant about ~/Templates [Was: Re: spacial]

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 11:17 +0100, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 10:04 +0100, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 15:36 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > Create a ~/Templates/ directory
> >
> > Is there an easy way to throw this directory out of view for people
> > using ~/ as desktop?
>
> We've still got .hidden file support in nautilus from gnome 2.4.

I didn't know (or remember) that dir existed! Thank you very much!!

> Make a file called .hidden and list files you want to hide. It's no more
> crackful than using ~ as desktop </flame> ;)

I'm not flaming, or at least that's not my intention, but I simply can't
understand why this way it is "crack", and the other it is not (and
there has not been any reasonable explanation other than that's the way
Windows and others -- like KDE -- do it).

1. A multi-user system doesn't need this.
2. ~/.hidden/ is good enough to cover broken apps (~/Mail, ~/nsmail,
   ~/Templates, etc....)
3. it's much more intuitive _and_ integrated with the system (a shell
   normaly opens in ~/, people don't have directories that are theirs
   but hidden or made harder to access by the GUI, etc...)

4. there are more reasons to do it this way, I'm quite sure.

If the others started jumping into deep wells would you too? :)

Regards, Rui