Re: API break request

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 14:00 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 13:36, Erik Grinaker wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure this is what Shaun meant, but say I'm working in Nautilus,
> > and I try to open a remote filesystem on hosts aleph and wintermute;
> >
> > aleph uses sftp and requires a password, so the auth dialog is
> > displayed. Meanwhile, wintermute is down (or whatever), and so it just
> > hangs. In this case, since the patch apparantly only opens the cancel
> > dialog when no auth dialogs are displayed, I wouldn't get a cancel
> > dialog for wintermute since an auth dialog for aleph is open. Would this
> > be correct?
> >
> > What happens when I successfully authenticate against aleph? Would the
> > cancel dialog for wintermute be opened after a small while, or would it
> > never show up?
> >
> > If the cancel dialog eventually shows up (after authenticating against
> > aleph) it shouldn't be a problem, but if it never shows up it might be
> > an issue worth some thought. Isn't there any way of finding out which
> > gnome-vfs connection an authentication dialog belongs to, or wouldn't
> > that make any difference?
>
> The cancel dialog for the other location will show up after you close
> the password dialog. Of course, its pretty rare that you open two
> locations at the same time, one with a password dialog and one that
> hangs. It might even be right in this situation to delay the cancel
> dialog, since getting two dialogs at the same time for different things
> is sort of confusing. :)

Yeah, I think you're right. If it had been opened, you might get the
cancel dialog a small while after the auth dialog, which would cause the
cancel dialog to grab focus while you're typing in the auth dialog -
basically the same problem we have (had) today. So I think it seems like
a sane, although somewhat hackish, solution :)

+1, for what it's worth (ie not much :))

--
Erik Grinaker <erikg codepoet no>

enthusiastic about."
                                                      -- Albert Einstein