Re: rfc: gnome-inetd

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 13:23 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Sean Middleditch">

> > (And yes, before someone mentions it, I know a lot of chat protocols can't
> > work "reactively" in an inetd-style, as they have to connect to and stay
> > connected to a central server.  There are things like iChat's local-net
> > protocol and so on, however.)
>
> I can't see any 'sharing' or user daemon oriented stuff in your examples
> here.

I definitely intended for them to be included anyhow, though.  ~_^

Lite-weight chat programs, messaging systems similar to WinPopup for
administrator messages, and so on.

A lot of the interesting daemons I can think of don't fit well with an
inetd-type of system.  For example, games.  I would *like* to somehow
have a centralized control of the networking of those apps, but I'm not
sure how that would work.

Perhaps a library like GNet could abstract away checking GConf for
configured ports, finding available ports randomly, registering with
mDNS, and so on.

That all would be used by or shared with gnome-inetd.