Re: rfc: gnome-inetd

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:38:18 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> d) Is there a political goal as well
>
> "Share"
> "Share with Windows users"
>
> for example has nice implications about windows.

Yeah, but I'm not sure the type of users GNOME targets would get
that: "Why would I *not* want to share with Windows users?".

Especially as from the users perspective there's no difference between a
Samba shared ~/Public and a g-u-s shared public, I mean it's not like
g-u-s has more features.

It's tempting to say that g-u-s is meeting a political goal. SMB for
all its many faults does work today. In much the same way that g-u-s is a
frontend for Apache/DAV/mdns it could have also been a frontend to Samba.

On the other hand, a world without SMB would be a better world at least
for us developers :)