Re: Preferences in Yelp?!

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 18:44 +0100, uws wrote:
> P�at, Dec 04, 2004 at 07:34:32PM +0200, Enver ALTIN skrev:
> > Very good point, but the dialog already has 4 font preferences now.
> > Maybe we could drop Desktop and Window Title font prefs from the dialog
> > and add a Document font preference, but keep GConf keys of these for
> > geeks to play with?
>
> Also note that the "Window title font" option is disabled for many users
> (the window title font is defined elsewhere, because of their window
> manager).

By default, it is disabled with metacity as well, since the default is
to use the application font. And there is no way to change that key from
the UI, so most people can't change it anyway, unless they know to look
for the key in gconf, and know where to look at that.

> > So changing Application font would change Desktop font and Window title
> > fonts only if they were the same with the Application font before the
> > change, but don't touch them if they were set to something else?
>
> Maybe an empty font string or an 'undefined' value in GConf will default
> these fonts to Application font.

Maybe have a separate boolean key for foo_uses_application_font or
something, like metacity already does. We could just add one for the
desktop, and change the default.

> > Having that many font prefs is just pointless.
>
> I agree.

I disagree. However, I think the current UI is overly complicated, which
perhaps leads you to experience this. As much as possible should be
configurable. However, most of the configuration should not be readily
visible in the UI. Having said that, I really like how windows handles
changing fonts and sizes. Alas though, we do not have an "Appearance"
capplet to let us change colors, fonts, widget sizes, etc... and to save
themes from this. I don't think we have time to do one for 2.10, but I
know it's something a lot of users have wanted for a while. So maybe we
can start working on it and get something done for after 2.10. And also
perhaps cleaning up the control center stuff to better split the simple
bits, and the more advanced capplets or pieces of capplets.

-- dobey