Re: ARC & GNOME [Was: How we make decisions...]

Sean/Mike:

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 00:03 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:43:06 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:

I just lack a host or the funds for a host to do any of that.  :(

But you have time? If so then maybe the freedesktop.org wiki would be OK.
I was planning on moving that article there eventually anyway.

Time is the most crucial thing lacked here. Hosting is a minor detail we
can work out later ;)    [worst case, we might be able to use navi]

Time for building and administrating the site?  Yes.  Time for doing
extensive testing and documentation for hundreds to thousands of the
individual software packages?  No - not without dropping some of my
other development projects, which I'm not too keen on doing.  I have
time for site infrastructure stuff mostly because it's all Open Source
and not-for-profit so I'm allowed to do it at work.  ;-)

I hadn't really written up a concrete plan of attack on the site, but if
you want me to, I can.  I think I have the notes in my list of "stuff I
want to do but haven't gotten to yet" somewhere.  ;-)

I would also be very interested in dedicating time to improve the
overall developer documentation found on developer.gnome.org.  I think
that there is a lot of useful information that is currently buried in
various mail archives, in the code, in README files, etc. that
should be made more easily available.  I think migrating
developer.gnome.org to a wiki-based system is a great way to
move forward.

At any rate, it does seem like there are a number of people besides
myself interested in working on improving the GNOME development docs.
I'm not sure what needs to happen to accelerate the migration of
d.g.o to a wiki, but it might be nice to get a bit more clarity on when
such a thing could happen and how we can get the people who are
interested in doing work organized so we can contribute effectively.

I've cc:ed gnome-doc-list, since that alias might be more appropriate
for continuing this discussion.

--

Brian