Re: Translations of folder names - re-hiding special directories

Ryan McDougall wrote:
1. Firstly I want to state that I'm not trying to only think of shell
users/programmers.  We *should* try to make the GUI work without the
shell, but that doesn't mean we should ditch the shell (its too damn
useful)!

yes.. and this is somehow a thing that many times the developers/designers of unix systems forget (just look at how 'fast' gnome-terminal is)

for example for me (i admit i am a developer) the shell is the most useful feature in the whole gnome/freedesktop/whatever.

for example, i still challange ANYONE to prove to me, that when thumbnails are not important (for example, lots of java source code files), someone is able to (re)organize directories with those files faster in nautilus than in midnight commander. (i realize that midnight commander is not really the shell, but still..).

for me the shell was one of the reasons why i switched to linux (unix),
and still is the feature that i miss the most when i have to work with windows (i don't consider cmd.exe as a usable shell).

many, many, many, many tasks are much easier to do on the command line than in the gui.

btw. imho the correct solution to this problem is to switch someting like storage. or at least something like this:
http://ozy.student.utwente.nl/projects/dbfs .

why are we trying to make the filesystem into something that he is not?

gabor