Re: Some thoughts on hiding the file system, (and an OS X anecdote)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:45:51 +0200, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:07:50 -0500, Carl Worth <cworth redhat com> wrote:
>
> > There were multiple causes of the confusion, but the common thread was
> > an attempt to hide the file system from the user interface. And not all
> > of these problems are unique to a "shell-user" being involved.
>
> But most are?

For this actual scenario, yes. The specific detail that could arise in
other scenarios was the ambiguous naming. "It's in tmp", "I'm looking in
tmp, and it's not there".

That kind of thing can happen with non-shell users and their own home
directories.

> It is, in the bottom-left corner demanding only one click. If the
> previously discussed emblem stuff would magically be implemented, it
> could be obvious from the looks of the window.

Ah, excellent. The essential information is available---I just didn't
know how to get to it, (and apparently it's not discoverable from the
menus). I wouldn't have ever guessed there was a clickable element in
the status bar at the bottom, (I don't know if that's more due to its
appearance or just my own expectations). But I don't think the
discoverability aspect is as significant an issue here.

-Carl