Re: gnome-vfs build issue

Ter, 2004-12-14 às 18:38 +0100, David Neary escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> >   -Werror is _evil_
> >
> >   My box has gcc 3.4.2, which gives a lot of spurious "void return value
> > in non-void function" warnings, thus breaking compilation of any modules
> > using -Werror (e.g. gstreamer).
>
> Can I ask why returning nothing from a function that should
> return something is a spurious warning? Sounds like a real
> problem to me...

  No, you don't understand, it's a gcc bug.  Some functions are declared
as returning void, but it still gives that warning.

  I know, gcc bug, fix gcc.  But do we really want the gnome build
system fragile against bugs in the gcc warning system?

  I don't see any advantage in hardcoding -Werror in makefiles, as
opposed to let developers add it to their own CFLAGS.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.