Re: gnome-vfs build issue

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 15:59 +0000, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> Ter, 2004-12-14 às 16:37 +0100, James Henstridge escreveu:
> > On 14/12/04 16:20, Luis Villa wrote:
> >
> > >http://gnome-build.ximian.com/tinderbox/ONGOING/gnome-vfs.html#build
> > >
> > >Looks like this commit:
> > >
> > >http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-vfs/ChangeLog?rev=1.2056&view=markup
> > >
> > >broke the build, at least for folks (like the build box) that don't
> > >have hal installed. Can we fix, please?
> > >

> > It appears to be a variable that is only used if --enable-hal is passed
> > to configure.  This wouldn't normally be an error, but -Werror is being
> > used ...
>
>   -Werror is _evil_
>
>   My box has gcc 3.4.2, which gives a lot of spurious "void return value
> in non-void function" warnings, thus breaking compilation of any modules
> using -Werror (e.g. gstreamer).

  I'm sorry, please disregard my example about gstreamer.  I am
confusing things :-P

  FWIW, what failed because of -Werror was actually gnome-control-center
(libgswitchit/Makefile.am).  gstreamer just failed because of conflicts
in po files.  But I still think -Werror is evil.

  I don't mind -Werror as long as it can be switched off from configure,
without modifying the sources.  And the gnome-control-center example is
real, unfortunately.

  Sorry for the confusion.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt>
INESC