Re: Some thoughts on hiding the file system, (and an OS X anecdote)

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 17:34 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Llu, 2004-12-13 at 17:14, Colin Walters wrote:
> > I would suggest this was the wrong approach; why not just use gnome-
> > user-share?  I believe the share will appear in MacOS X.
>
> And vanish mysteriously when the machines are not networked. Trying to
> compare rsync and gnome-user-share is a bit "odd".

So will files in /tmp...  rsync'ing files to /tmp is not the correct way
to share files on OS X.  There are a good number of other ways of
transferring files, gnome-user-share included, that OS X is designed to
support.  If you don't use one of those, OS X is not to blame, no more
than Linux is to blame for a user trying to save to
"//smbserver/path/file".

Normal users will never, ever run into problems like not being able to
find rsync'd files in /tmp.  The only time that kind of stuff happens
with when another "technically able user" (who isn't necessarily very
technically abled on the target machine) gets into the mix and causes
the problems.  Carl being "UNIXly clever" with a machine that honestly
isn't UNIX, no matter how much it look like it under the surface, is one
such example.  ~_^