Re: Flames on d-d-l (was: Re: GNOME Namespace Management - ARC & GNOME)

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 17:59 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 19:40 +0900, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> > Recently I've come to the conclusion that some debates here could use a
> > little more civil, less personal, tone. 99.9% of the traffic here is
> > pleasant to read, but occasionally there are mails that might be
> > considered "flamey".
> >
> > Therefore I think its good for the health of this list to turn down the
> > heat a notch, and realize that at the end of the day these battles don't
> > mean all that much.
> >
> > I think we can self police our flame-throwers here, but if not, it would
> > suck if someone had to be Flame Sheriff and constantly bug us to be nice
> > to each other. Maybe then we could get some of those lost core
> > developers to rejoin the list so we don't disconnect from them.
>
> I think they mostly left due to the low signal-to-noise ratio here.
> There is such a huge amount of mails here, and very little of it matters
> to them. On the whole I don't think the occasional flame we get matter
> that much.

> The problem is that not enough mails are interesting enough to dedicate
> the hours of time needed for reading desktop-devel-list. So, in order to
> get actual work done people are unsubscribing. Some of these are core
> maintainers. This is pretty bad, since it means the core maintainers
> don't have a place where they can reach each other.

Honestly, I think you are exaggerating the problem here. There have been
roughly 7000 messages on desktop-devel-list this year. That's a lot, but
put another way, that's only 20 messages a day. 2-3 minutes if you read
quickly, less if you skip messages in threads you don't care about.
Certainly not hours by any standard. (d-d-l gets less traffic in a year
than linux-kernel does in a month...)

I don't think it's asking too much for a core GNOME maintainer to spend
a couple of minutes a day keeping track of what's going on.

I consider desktop-devel-list to be succeeding. It reduces the work of
keeping track of the gnome desktop issues compared to having to watch a
bunch of lists for stuff that might possibly have something relevant.
And it's *vastly* reduced cross-posting.

Have there been some big irrelevant threads? sure. Would it be good
if people thought twice before posting a "me too" or a "not it isn't"
mail? sure.

I don't think it's worth a lot of hang-wringing or drastic changes.
If anything, it's just that our mail reading environment isn't very
good for handling this sort of discussion.

Regards,
						Owen