Re: filename translation implementation - how to decide

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 09:56 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> But how would you even find these directories if they are
> in .freedesktop? Say you want to download something to the desktop and
> end up in your homedir in the file selector. How do you get into the
> right directory? Sure, they'll be nicely translated if you managed to go
> into ~/.freedesktop.org, but that is a hidden directory.
>
> Are you saying we should add magic files that don't really exists to ~/
> in the ui?
>
> Also, ~/.freedesktop.org/desktop breaks the "up" button (since you get
> some strange hidden directory), and will display the hidden direcory in
> various path-bars and path menus.

I think the idea would be to do something along the lines of how Home,
Filesystem, and mountable volumes are handled today: put them in the
side pane of the file selector as browsing roots.

With the current system, if you navigate to Filesystem/home/user you're
suddenly in the Home root. Likewise, with this system if you navigate to
Home/.fdo/Documents you could suddenly be in the Documents root.
Technically, I dunno how this all works out, but from a UI standpoint I
think it would be acceptable. (For GNOME apps, at least ...)

Peter

--
Peter Williams                          peter newton cx

"[Ninjas] are cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet."
                              -- REAL Ultimate Power