Re: Interface Stability in GNOME

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 00:36 +0000, Andrew Sobala wrote:

> As an aside, I think the most useful categorisation is probably
> Stable/Unstable/Private. So
> GDK/GTK/ATK/Pango/GConf/gnome-vfs/libbonobo*/ORBit2 are Stable (surely
> anything in the Developer Platform should be stable?),
> libgnome-keyring/gstreamer etc. are Unstable, and
> libwnck/libegg/eel/gal/libgnome-desktop etc. are Private.

This is exactly where Brian's work is cut out for him though. ;-)
And probably why this stuff hasn't been documented in the past -
controversy.

While nobody is going to break libonobo/ORBit2/libgnome ABI, there's no
way it's a good idea for ISVs to use them in my opinion. Of course, I've
been saying that for years.

Havoc