Re: Interface Stability in GNOME

Havoc Pennington wrote:

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 00:36 +0000, Andrew Sobala wrote:
As an aside, I think the most useful categorisation is probably
Stable/Unstable/Private. So
GDK/GTK/ATK/Pango/GConf/gnome-vfs/libbonobo*/ORBit2 are Stable (surely
anything in the Developer Platform should be stable?),
libgnome-keyring/gstreamer etc. are Unstable, and
libwnck/libegg/eel/gal/libgnome-desktop etc. are Private.

This is exactly where Brian's work is cut out for him though. ;-) And probably why this stuff hasn't been documented in the past -
controversy.

While nobody is going to break libonobo/ORBit2/libgnome ABI, there's no
way it's a good idea for ISVs to use them in my opinion. Of course, I've
been saying that for years.

If this is the reality of the situations they should be classified as Unstable even though they are on the developer platform. The ISVs use these at their own risks. There is no point in hiding the risks from them where trusts need to be built.

If the developers backed away from it because it is Unstable, then either we made
   them Stable or risking not attracting even more ISVs to use these APIs.

-Ghee

Havoc