Re: Release Cycle to low!

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 09:49, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 14:05 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > > I think you should give people a break and have them breathe for
> > > a while. I mean when you go and release GNOME every say 2-3 weeks
> > > then it's enough time for people to compile the released Tarballs,
> > > test them and do serious bugreports.
> >
> > Nonsense. You can't have too many releases. I'd be happy with
> > releases every half hour if it was possible.
>
> I want to see for how long you can keep up releasing every half an hour
> and how many of the Developers will jump on your neck with a knife
> because they like to kill you for this (just a little flowered

Only in your imagination.  A cron script that grabbed the latest file
releases from FTP, checked if even just one of these has been updated,
and rolls a new development release would rock.  One might want to
reconsider the numbering scheme for these (2.5.2004021905 or something
else data/time based).

Really, this isn't *any* different than using one of the many build
scripts that grab from CVS or the latest FTP sites.  (hell, you wrote
one, didn't you?)  The development releases would just be an aggregate
of the changes in released modules.  People grab a release, test it, and
later on when they feel like upgrading they can.  Whether there's been 1
or 20 "minor" releases between the upgrades is wholly irrelevant.  If
some user does feel compelled to download and install every single minor
release every hour, that's their own insanity problem.

> explaination since I assume the Developers wouldn't be happy at all with
> this since they concentrate more on releasing rather than fixing or
> improving). Please reconsider and get real the 2.5.5 release was just
> wrong and came far to early.

The releases don't mandate that every package needs to be updated.  The
release is just a list of all the packages that have upgraded.  If the
release team was forcing every module to have an upgraded package
between every 2.5.x GNOME release, then you might have merit to your
argument, but that simply isn't the case.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.