Re: A question about procedure regarding a desktop environment policy

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 05:46:25PM -0600, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> What is preventing GNOME form dropping sloppy focus support?

Supporting the existing user base.  Users expect sloppy focus because
it's the Unixy thing we've grown up on.  Removing it is similar to
removing the terminal---sure, a terminal is not what people expect out
of computers these days, but supporting new users is not our only goal.

---Stop reading here, second-hand-opinion follows---
I maintain the GNOME install for the undergraduates at the University
of Washington, which is a pretty big school in a pretty influential
location (many of my friends end up at Microsoft).  I can assure you
that telling people they'll have to set a registry key (I've heard
gconf-editor called that, especially from those who dismiss GNOME as yet
another Windows knockoff) to get sloppy focus will just make them more
insistent that GNOME is a waste of our time.
Are those the users you're willing to alienate?

--
Evan Martin
martine danga com