Re: metacity: removing alt-shift-up/down

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 15:15, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:45:27 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Alt-Down for "Open" in Nautilus was well established before GNOME 2.6.
> > GNOME 2.6 just adds Shift-Alt-Down to say "and close the current folder
> > too".
>
> This depends how you define well established. I'd never even thought of
> trying that combination until just now.

Maybe you'd like to remove it?

>  It does work, but appears to do
> exactly the same thing as the far more guessable enter key does.

Yes, Enter should do something, and it does.

>  And
> seeing as on all keyboards I've ever encountered Enter is practically
> right next to the arrow keys, I don't think the moving the hands argument
> is a good one.
>
> > The point is to use the arrow keys, moving the hands as little as
> > possible during navigation. It's a well established and loved Mac Finder
> > feature.
>
> I use the arrow keys and enter all the time when editing text (like the
> contents of this message) and there isn't any superfluous hand movement
> going on (I'm watching now).

[snip]

> Again we have this "average" user, who doesn't really exist. That's the
> whole idea behind personas, isn't it?

Yes, I too would like to see some personas, and have pushed for some to
be published.

> [snip]

>  Alt+Enter isn't any harder to hit than Alt+Down, at
> least on my keyboard.
>
> So, seen from this perspective the alt+shift+down decision makes no sense
> to me.

Various people, including the Nautilus maintainers, decided that it's
nice and better, and the Mac is quite an effective proof of concept. For
a start, what's your eqivalent for Alt-Up to open the parent and
Shift-Alt-Up to open the parent and close the current folder?

This stuff is very hard to discuss and get agreement on because of the
many things that claim various keybindings. But that's been done
already, at great effort, with lots of discussion, in steps. And this is
where we are now.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com