The Big Proposed Modules Discussion

Hi all,

I'm going to kick off some more detailed proposed modules discussion on
d-d-l in a number of mails that will hit the list in the next 10 minutes.
I'm separating out each module thread because it's easier, and some people
use mailers that break threading, which would utterly confuse everyone if it
was all in the same thread.

I want to make it absolutely clear that I am starting these threads with my
own personal opinions, which have nothing to do with release team policy or
predisposition on the eventual decision. The release team is tasked with
proposing direction based on consensus. Sometimes, that means making tough
decisions to resolve problems or arguments, but usually we don't even have
to do that. :-)

The objective here is to get some open debate going on about what we want in
2.6, given the choices presented to us in the proposed modules list. The
release team will write a proposal based on what is discussed here, to be
published around January 10th - 12th. If there's no strong disageement, then
we're done!

  http://www.gnome.org/start/2.5/modules/

Note: If a particular module is not chosen for inclusion in the Desktop or
Platform releases, that does not mean "it sucks". It may be more appropriate
for another release, unlikely to meet our release requirements by the due
date (a11y, bugs, i18n, etc), or all kinds of other reasons. I really hope
that this process will help maintainers, rather than annoy them. Being in
the Desktop release is definitely not the be-all and end-all of GNOME! :-)

So, I hope that the context of this process is understood, so we can sort
this out and get on with 2.6, which is already shaping up to be a totally
kickarse release!

Thanks,

- Jeff

       The implementation of any sufficiently advanced technology is
                        indistinguishable from pr0n.