RE: PATCH keyword, again

Jeff, these things can all help, particularly for big modules such as GTK+
and nautilus, which are special cases, but they should not be necessary for
most modules. Most modules do not get so many patches that they should be
ignored for weeks or months. You yourself know how difficult it is to even
get some maintainers to make a tarball release.

It really isn't that difficult to monitor a bugzilla query [1] or to catch
all the bugzilla spam that has the PATCH keyword. They don't even have to
apply the patch - just read it and say "please apply" or "please do XXX and
resubmit".

Of course it's completely understandable that some maintainers don't have
time even for this. But when that's the case, they should be delegating
responsibility, because there are people who would like to help. You can
make someone a co-maintainer after making it clear that he should only
approve simple patches at first, and make releases. I am confident that
there are lots of people who would like to help in this way. This is a route
to future full maintainership which maintainers should provide.

Personally, for my *mm stuff, I review patches as soon as possible because
every patch contributor is a potential full developer or maintainer. And I
make it clear that I want co-maintainers. And whenever possible, I give
maintainership away.

People often wait for patch A to be approved before contributing patch B,
but imagine how much more development would happen if the gap between patch
A and B was 3 days instead of 3 weeks. Some people contribute patch B
because they are so discouraged. Some people never contribute patch A
because they see what happens to other patches.

In summary, I believe that the neglected-patches problem is a major obstacle
to contributing to GNOME. I believe that co-maintainers are the answer, and
I think that we (the community/foundation board) should maybe declare that
all modules should have >1 maintainer. Single points of failure are bad.

[1] For instance, the bugzilla report that was created for this purpose,
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/gnome-25-report.html
Or
see the patches links here:
http://www.gtkmm.org/bugs.shtml