Re: PPP Dial up tool

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 11:40, Ross Burton wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 08:04, Dmitry Koval wrote:
> > Create an additional url for Nautilus like "connections://"
> > where all the management of connections should take place.
> > So I think all of the functionality should be implemented as a part
> > Nautilus.
>
> This is undesirable behaviour, connections:/// isn't a file system so
> should not be implemented as one.

The preferences:/// doesn't looks like filesystem to me. At least on a
surface.
But I'm not insist, because I really not sure here.

> I'd say that the network connections should all be managed in a
> distribution specific manner by g-s-t.  Then the applet should use the
> same library to get the list of connections available, and allow the
> user to bring up/down any connection. This way it can be used to bring
> up ethernet, ppp, VPN (I hope), etc in one fabby small applet.

Actually I like this approach.

But then we need:

The protocol between system and gnome (g-s-t-, applet) needs to be
developed:
As I can see it actual job of creating and bringing connection up or
down should be done by library for proper distro integration.
So our g-s-t and applet just an interfaces to the library.
Here we got and intermediate layer between g-s-t and connection manager.

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 11:29, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:04:41AM +0200, Dmitry Koval wrote:

> > 4. Diversification of these (g-s-t, modem lights) tools seems not good
> > for me. I think there should be one place where user can create a new
> > connection, select some connection and then dial out.
>
> No. This would require large quantities of distribution-specific code in
> a panel applet - there's no significant point in having an applet that
> doesn't interact correctly with the system's own ideas about how PPP
> connections are set up.

The way to bypass this issue is as I mentioned above put all
system-dependent stuff into a library.

--
Dmitry Koval <koval donapex net>