RE: Proposed: Evolution (and associated libs)

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, JP Rosevear wrote:

> From: JP Rosevear <jpr ximian com>
> Subject: RE: Proposed: Evolution (and associated libs)
>
> On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 06:32, hellan acm org wrote:
> > If Evolution goes in, gal should be polled into the evolution source
> > tree. That way, we avoid making gal a part of the platform, and we
> > make sure that other apps don't start depending on gal.
>
> This has always been our intention.  Radek has code in his tree to yank
> the gal dependency from gtkhtml already.  The main trickiness in
> evolution is pulling in the gal a11y stuff, but it shouldn't be too bad.

You can't just delete a library - packages that link to it, while still
being able to use the old version of the library, can't benefit from the
improvements and bugfixes to an internal version of gal.

The packages that I know of:

# grep-dctrl libgal -F Depends -s Package -s Depends /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.debian.org_debian_dists_*_binary-i386_Packages | grep-dctrl -v libgal23 | grep-dctrl -v libgal-dev -s Package | sort
Package: encompass
Package: evolution
Package: evolution-dev
Package: gtkhtml3.0
Package: libgal2.0-common
Package: libgal2.0-dev
Package: libgtkhtml3.0-0
Package: libgtkhtml3.0-1
Package: libgtkhtml3.0-2
Package: libgtkhtml3.0-dev
Package: libmultisync-plugin-evolution
Package: logjam

I have lists for both unstable and experimental here.
Also (the now discontinued) agnubis use[sd] it, and the Gnome 1.4 ver-
sion of gnucash used the old version of gal, so removing gal would make
porting it (with its allready huge stack of dependencies) harder than
it is now.

I'm against removing gal in the 2.6 timeframe, you guys should probably
look at what widgets those apps are using and consider pushing them in-
to some other library (because I think there are quite some potentially
usefull widgets in gal, which other apps could benefit from), and remo-
ve gal in the 2.8 timeframe.

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout