Re: Extending the Gnome search capabilities to be able to search in OOo files

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 09:48:15AM -0500, Curtis C. Hovey wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 08:34, Tino Rachui wrote:
> > I would like to extend the Gnome search capabilities to be able to
> > search in OpenOffice.org files.
>
> I am envisioning a plugable architecture that constructs a pipeline for
> extracting and manufacturing metadata.  OO.o files would be process in
> something like this:
>
> src=my.swx > posix-extractor > mime-typer >
> zip > src=content.xml > markup > text-summarizer
>    \
>     > src=meta.xml > markup > office-meta
>
> Medusa indexes text/* mime-types now.  It usually takes no more than 2
> seconds to list all files that match content or metadata.

I've been thinking that something like this would be great for version
control, too.  XML really lends itself to being version-controlled with
diff.  If we had a standard API for getting XML out of binaries, cvs
and friends could suddenly take a big leap forward in terms of usefulness
to modern apps :)

--
Lee.