Re: Extending the Gnome search capabilities to be able to search in OOo files

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 10:01, Lee Braiden wrote:
> > I am envisioning a plugable architecture that constructs a pipeline for
> > extracting and manufacturing metadata.  OO.o files would be process in
> > something like this:
> >
> > src=my.swx > posix-extractor > mime-typer >
> > zip > src=content.xml > markup > text-summarizer
> >    \
> >     > src=meta.xml > markup > office-meta
> >

> I've been thinking that something like this would be great for version
> control, too.  XML really lends itself to being version-controlled with
> diff.  If we had a standard API for getting XML out of binaries, cvs
> and friends could suddenly take a big leap forward in terms of usefulness
> to modern apps :)

Take a look at http://www.gnome.org/~seth/storage/features.html.  Seth
Nickell envisioned a similar mechanism.  Smart apps would use version
control in place of saving documents, opting instead to mark revisions.
Document collaboration would take a great leap forward.

The metadata Db I want to create is very compatible with Storage.
Sometime in the future I image Medusa being a metadata search tool, and
metadata residing in Storage.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.