Re: Evolution 2.0 and GNOME 2.6

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 11:20, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
[...]
> No. This is a *general desktop*."
> Well then, how come there is no media player, IM client and an email client
> included with it? Aren't these "general" enough for Gnome users?

They possibly are, but we do not have anything (in the opinion of the
relevant maintainers) that is up to the high levels we set for
applications in the desktop release.

The main point here is that we do time-based releases, not
feature-based. We ship what is ready at the time we release, not hold
back the release until stuff is ready.

Maintainers who choose to hold back their products because they deem
them not ready get my highest respect: they are sacrificing six months
of high visibility for their product in an effort to maintain the
quality of their product and the desktop. Therefore, if we were to rush
in some software just to tick off some marketing point we would have to
resort to using something from maintainers with lower levels of
professionalism. Hardly the way to make a fantastic desktop.

Malcolm