Re: Evolution 2.0 and GNOME 2.6

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 20:01, Xavier Ordoquy wrote:
> > >Anyway, GNOME doesn't add modules based on trying to tick off marketing
> > points.
> >
> > Maybe it should.
>
> I think it is worst to include module that don't work well because it
> gives a wrong view on what they really are.
> An example is nautilus. It took a lot of time to show people that they
> could use it. They keeped in mind that it was a sloooow thing and
> remembered it long.

I still fight this at my LUG.  So many people have this impression based
on past experiences with Nautilus.  Some people even go as far as state
it as a fact that Nautilus is slow then admit that they haven't used
Gnome since the 1.x days.

One thing I have notice about users who are not "in the know" they don't
care so much about the core Gnome Desktop.  Most people don't see it.
All the marketing is done at the Distro level.  Who cares that Gnome
doesn't ship with an IM client when every user oriented distro in
existence has one or more.  I say Gaim and everyone knows what I am
talking about.  Apps should move to the core when they are ready to add
real value, not as show pieces.  It really can hurt more than help.

--
J5