Re: Explicit copying into the clipboard without selecting

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 09:27 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 00:13, Mariano Su�z-Alvarez wrote:
> > Evo is now changing both selections (it did affect only the PRIMARY
> > selection not long ago iirc) and the terminal only changes the
> > CLIPBOARD. I have not looked for more examples, but context menus for
> > urls are likely to have such items.
>
> Gossip, Galeon and gnome-terminal all copy to CLIPBOARD. I'd say
> Evolution is buggy in copying to PRIMARY, and should copy to just
> CLIPBOARD, to keep the "PRIMARY is the selection" model.

I lost the original part of the thread, but if this is about Evo's "Copy
link location", then I'm guilty as charged.

A long time ago I made Evo claim both CLIPBOARD and PRIMARY for URLs;
the latter so that I could middle-click on Galeon to open the URL in
PRIMARY.

Now that this doesn't work in Epiphany, I've resorted to the saner "C-l
C-v Enter" sequence.  It's still somewhat convenient to be able to
middle-click paste in the location entry (out of PRIMARY), but I
wouldn't complain if that stopped working.  We really need to deprecate
that shit.

[It would be nice if there were a keyboard shortcut for "open location
from clipboard"...]

  Federico