Re: Vino: proposal for inclusion in GNOME 2.8

On Llu, 2004-07-12 at 21:49, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> the upperbound on it.  So if you want to share a presentation or
> something there is probably room to make it more efficient.  Hopefully,
> you do intend Vino to be used as a way to share presentations or do
> collab etc.  Netmeeting is hugely popular at work for this kind of
> thing.

Base vnc is very poor at bandwidth management although if you have a
suitable environment you can multicast it. Tightvnc (which Vino I don't
believe yet supports) gets the bandwidth usage down greatly. To go
beyond that you'd need a good perceptual codec. There are two candidate
codecs for this QV30 (which is patented but Cornell granted rights
for) which might take you dow a little, and Theora which will do
everything required but requires fairly substantial encoding CPU power
with the reference encoder as it hasn't been optimised yet.

The other problem with Vino I'd note is an X level one - nobody has
really established how to mix damage extension type stuff with DRI or
hardware video overlay.