Re: Vino: proposal for inclusion in GNOME 2.8

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:54:39 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Base vnc is very poor at bandwidth management although if you have a
> suitable environment you can multicast it. Tightvnc (which Vino I don't
> believe yet supports) gets the bandwidth usage down greatly. To go
> beyond that you'd need a good perceptual codec.

Has anybody done some serious R&D on modifying X such that you can relay
windows onto other displays using NX?

Now, I'm not saying "hey let's not use vino" because obviously Vino exists
and works today. What I'm saying is that for future potential it may be
worth looking at extending X: apparently (not tried it myself) NX gets
extremely good compression on the X protocol.

Downsides are that it's a pretty complex piece of engineering and that of
course you'd need an X server with an NX decompresser, which makes using
it on Windows/MacOS a lot harder.

thanks -mike