Re: how to make desktop app send email?

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 01:27, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 15:27 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 15:26, Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
> > > Certainly, it's pretty ashaming that UNIX still hasn't obvious way to
> > > send stupid email, despite pioneering it some 30 years ago.
> > It does - sendmail.  The problem is that modern clients don't use
> > sendmail to send mail, they all use their own built-in SMTP client code.
>
> Evolutions uses underlying sendmail. I should know. I _always_ send
> email, even while offline.

Evolution has an option to use sendmail. It also has an option to use
SMTP. I'd guess - and this is pure speculation - that most desktop users
configure it to use SMTP directly, since it's easier to configure SMTP
within evolution that to delve into sendmail [1] configuration.

--
Andrew

[1] or even the nicer-to-configure alternatives, such as exim, postfix.