Re: new module: eggcups

On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 18:22, Chipzz wrote:
> It doesn't have to be about the user. In debian, for example, the cups
> maintainer is a seperate maintainer from the gnome maintainers. I can
> very well understand that he would not want to integrate d-bus in cups.

Yeah, all the more reason for getting it done upstream I guess. However,
I don't know of any reasons why not integrating cups with D-BUS is a
good idea.

> Or it just be that the user is not running linux at all. There are a lot
> of people using *BSD. This doesn't pose a problem in se wrt the cups in-
> tegration, but where is udev on *BSD and GNU/Hurd?

I believe you're referring to HAL. HAL is actually kernel-agnostic, and
will happily broadcast D-BUS events on BSD if people interested in a BSD
variant write the code to tie it to the kernel. Udev is only the linux
layer; to be honest it's got the most mature support, but that's always
going to be the case since linux is more popular.

> It troubles me a bit that gnome is going in a Linux/i386 direction, and
> maybe even the RedHat/Novell direction, instead of a *NIX desktop direc-
> tion.

No, I don't think so.

--
Andrew